Staff | Prof. Dr. Satria Bijaksana
I was born in 1965 in the the western side of island of Papua, Indonesia. After completed my PhD program in geophysics from Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada I returned to my native Indonesia in 1996 and joined Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB). Supported by my institution, colleagues and students, I established a rock magnetic lab at ITB in 1998. I obtained my full professorship (in rock magnetism) in 2010. I am currently a member of Global Geophysics Research Group at the Faculty of Mining and Petroleum Engineering ITB.
My research interests are rock magnetism and its applications in differing fields such as paleomagnetism, climate studies, environmental studies, volcanology, agricultural geophysics, as well as exploration geophysics. Over the years, I have successfully supervised many students in undergraduate, master as well as doctoral programs. My former students work in industries, research institutions as well as various universities in Indonesia.
Apart from teaching and research, I have also served various administrative prositions ranging from Associate Head of Physics Department, Associate Dean of Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, Secretary of Quality Assurance Unit of ITB, to Head of Global Geophysics Research Group.
Professionally I am a member of American Geophysical Union (AGU), Indonesian Association of Geophysicists (HAGI), and Indonesian Association of Geologist (IAGI). I am also a Fellow of the Geological Society of London and a Senior Assessor of the AUN-QA (ASEAN University Network-Quality Assurance).
- Bachelor of Science in Physics, 1988, Institut Teknologi Bandung, Bandung, West Java, Indonesia
- Master of Science in Geophysics, 1992, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Geophysics, 1996, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.
INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH COLLABORATION
- The Towuti Drilling Program (as Co-chief Scientist)
INSTITUTIONAL AND NATIONAL RESEARCH (2010-2015)
- 2015 Magnetic and physical properties of soils and sediments from the Malili Lake System (1st year, Penelitian Unggulan Perguruan Tinggi)
- 2015 Magnetic characteristics of volcanic ash (2nd year, PMDSU)
- 2014 Magnetic characteristics of volcanic ash (1st year, PMDSU)
- 2014 Magnetic properties of Ni-hyperaccumulating planst (Research and Innovation ITB)
- 2013 Magnetic Properties and Volcanic Soil Contamination (ITB Decentralization grant)
- 2012 Morphological analyses and magnetic mineral composition to identify diagenic processes in sediments from Lake Towuti, South Sulawesi (Research and Innovation ITB)
- 2011 Development and application of FDS (Frequency-dependent Susceptibility) in environmental magnetism (2nd year, Competency grant)
- 2010 Development and application of FDS (Frequency-dependent Susceptibility) in environmental magnetism (1st year, Competency grant)
- 2010 Application of magnetic properties as pedegenesis indicators in lateritic soils (Institutional grant)
PUBLICATIONS (only those indexed in SCOPUS)
- Konecky, B., Russell, J,, Bijaksana, S. Glacial aridity in central Indonesia coeval with intensified monsoon circulation (2016) Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 437, pp. 15-24.
- Weber, A.K., Russell, J.M., Goudge, T.A., Salvatore, M.R., Mustard, J.F., Bijaksana, S. Characterizing clay mineralogy in Lake Towuti, Indonesia, with reflectance spectroscopy (2015) Journal of Paleolimnology, 54 (2-3), pp. 253-261.
- Vogel, H., Russell, J.M., Cahyarini, S.Y., Bijaksana, S., Wattrus, N., Rethemeyer, J., Melles, M. Depositional modes and lake-level variability at Lake Towuti, Indonesia, during the past ~29 kyr BP (2015) Journal of Paleolimnology, 54 (4), pp. 359-377.
- Wicaksono, S.A., Russell, J.M., Bijaksana, S. Compound-specific carbon isotope records of vegetation and hydrologic change in central Sulawesi, Indonesia, since 53,000 yr BP (2015) Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 430, pp. 47-56.
- Tamuntuan, G., Bijaksana, S., King, J., Russell, J., Fauzi, U., Maryunani, K., Aufa, N., Safiuddin, L.O. Variation of magnetic properties in sediments from Lake Towuti, Indonesia, and its paleoclimatic significance (2015) Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 420, pp. 163-172.
- Costa, K.M., Russell, J.M., Vogel, H., Bijaksana, S. Hydrological connectivity and mixing of Lake Towuti, Indonesia in response to paleoclimatic changes over the last 60,000 years (2015) Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 417, pp. 467-475.
- Russell, J.M., Vogel, H., Konecky, B.L., Bijaksana, S., Huang, Y., Melles, M., Wattrus, N., Costa, K., King, J.W. Glacial forcing of central Indonesian hydroclimate since 60,000 y B.P.(2014) Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 111 (14), pp. 5100-5105.
- Rodysill, J.R., Russell, J.M., Crausbay, S.D., Bijaksana, S., Vuille, M., Edwards, R.L., Cheng, H. A severe drought during the last millennium in East Java, Indonesia (2013) Quaternary Science Reviews, 80, pp. 102-111.
- Agustine, E., Fitriani, D., Safiuddin, L.O., Tamuntuan, G., Bijaksana, S. Magnetic susceptibility properties of pesticide contaminated volcanic soil (2013) AIP Conference Proceedings, 1554, pp. 230-233.
- Iryanti, M., Nugraha, H.D., Setiawan, T., Bijaksana, S. Mapping peat morphology in sag pond with ground penetrating radar (2013) AIP Conference Proceedings, 1554, pp. 265-268.
- Syirojudin, M., Bijaksana, S. Comparing the accuracy of BMKG geomagnetic maps with those of IGRF over the Indonesian region (2013) AIP Conference Proceedings, 1554, pp. 249-252.
- Konecky, B.L., Russell, J.M., Rodysill, J.R., Vuille, M., Bijaksana, S., Huang, Y. Intensification of southwestern Indonesian rainfall over the past millennium (2013) Geophysical Research Letters, 40 (2), pp. 386-391.
- Russell, J., Bijaksana, S. The Towuti drilling project: Paleoenvironments, biological evolution, and geomicrobiology of a tropical Pacific lake (2012) Scientific Drilling, (14), pp. 68-71.
- Aji, M.P., Masturi, Bijaksana, S., Khairurrijal, Abdullah, M. A general formula for ion concentration-dependent electrical conductivities in polymer electrolytes (2012) American Journal of Applied Sciences, 9 (6), pp. 946-954.
- Rodysill, J.R., Russell, J.M., Bijaksana, S., Brown, E.T., Safiuddin, L.O., Eggermont, H. A paleolimnological record of rainfall and drought from East Java, Indonesia during the last 1,400 years (2012) Journal of Paleolimnology, 47 (1), pp. 125-139.
- Aji, M.P., Rahmawati, Masturi, Bijaksana, S., Khairurrijal, Abdullah, M. Electrical and magnetic properties of polymer electrolyte PVA.LiOH dispersed by Fe3O4 nanoparticles (2011) AIP Conference Proceedings, 1415, pp. 94-97.
- Kirana, K., Aufa, N., Huliselan, E., Bijaksana, S. Magnetic and electrical properties of leachate (2011) ITB Journal of Science, 43 A (3), pp. 165-178.
- Feranie, S., Fauzi, U., Bijaksana, S. 3D fractal dimension and flow properties in the pore structure of geological rocks (2011) Fractals, 19 (3), pp. 291-297.
- Aji, M.P., Rahmawati, Silvia, Bijaksana, S., Khairurrijal, Abdullah, M. Electrical conductivity study of polymer electrolyte magnetic nanocomposite based poly((Vinyl) alcohol (PVA) doping lithium and nickel salt (2010) AIP Conference Proceedings, 1284, pp. 51-54.
- Huliselan, E.K., Bijaksana, S., Srigutomo, W., Kardena, E. Scanning electron microscopy and magnetic characterization of iron oxides in solid waste landfill leachate (2010) Journal of Hazardous Materials, 179 (1-3), pp. 701-708.
- Tamuntuan, G., Bijaksana, S., Gaffar, E., Russell, J., Safiuddin, L.O., Huliselan, E. The magnetic properties of Indonesian Lake Sediment: A case study of a tectonic lake in South Sulawesi and maar lakes in East Java (2010) ITB Journal of Science, 42 A (1), pp. 31-48.
- Latief, F.D.E., Fauzi, U., Bijaksana, S., Bindar, Y. Pore structure characterization of 3D random pigeon hole rock models (2010) International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 47 (3), pp. 523-531.
- Bijaksana, S., Huliselan, E.K. Magnetic properties and heavy metal content of sanitary leachate sludge in two landfill sites near Bandung, Indonesia (2010) Environmental Earth Sciences, 60 (2), pp. 409-419.
- Martín-Hernández, F., Cañon-Tapia, E., Mattei, M., Bijaksana, S. Magnetic anisotropy different scales, different parameters, different stories? (2009) Tectonophysics, 466 (1-2), pp. 1-2.
- D'Arrigo, R., Allan, R., Wilson, R., Palmer, J., Sakulich, J., Smerdon, J.E., Bijaksana, S., Ngkoimani, L.O. Pacific and Indian Ocean climate signals in a tree-ring record of Java monsoon drought (2008) International Journal of Climatology, 28 (14), pp. 1889-1901.
- D'Arrigo, R., Wilson, R., Palmer, J., Krusic, P., Curtis, A., Sakulich, J., Bijaksana, S., Zulaikah, S., Ngkoimani, L.O., Tudhope, A. The reconstructed Indonesian warm pool sea surface temperatures from tree rings and corals: Linkages to Asian monsoon drought and El Niño-Southern Oscillation (2006) Paleoceanography, 21 (3), art. no. PA3005.
- D'Arrigo, R., Wilson, R., Palmer, J., Krusic, P., Curtis, A., Sakulich, J., Bijaksana, S., Zulaikah, S., Ngkoimani, L.O. Monsoon drought over Java, Indonesia, during the past two centuries (2006) Geophysical Research Letters, 33 (4), art. no. L04709.
- Hodych, J.P., Bijaksana, S. Plastically deforming clay-rich sediment to help measure the average remanence anisotropy of its individual magnetic particles, and correct for paleomagnetic inclination shallowing (2002) Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 27 (25-31), pp. 1273-1279.
- Hodych, J.P., Bijaksana, S., Pätzold, R. Using magnetic anisotropy to correct for paleomagnetic inclination shallowing in some magnetite-bearing deep-sea turbidites and limestones (1999) Tectonophysics, 307 (1-2), pp. 191-205.
- Bijaksana, S., Hodych, J.P. Comparing remanence anisotropy and susceptibility anisotropy as predictors of paleomagnetic inclination shallowing in turbidites from the Scotian rise (1997) Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 22 (1-2 SPEC. ISS.), pp. 189-193.
- Hodych, J.P., Bijaksana, S. Can remanence anisotropy detect paleomagnetic inclination shallowing due to compaction? A case study using Cretaceous deep-sea limestones (1993) Journal of Geophysical Research, 98 (B12), pp. 22,429-22,441.
E-mail Address sbijaksana[at]gmail.com